SM 2024 R3 - Math & Neighbours (5th - 11th Apr) Score Discuss
Riad's April Contest 2024 (13th - 21st April) has started Discuss
WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Serbian Round — 20th - 22nd April 2013149 posts • Page 4 of 6 • 1 2 3 4 5 6
@ 2013-04-21 10:46 PM (#10723 - in reply to #10489) (#10723) Top

neerajmehrotra

neerajmehrotra posted @ 2013-04-21 10:46 PM

How balanced do you think the puzzle types of this test were? Perfectly balanced
 What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? A bit hard
 What did you think about the puzzle quality of the test? Very nice
 How did you feel about the length / time limit for this test? Just right
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? Most puzzles were worth the right amount
 What was your opinion of the booklet formatting and printing? Just right

@ 2013-04-21 10:59 PM (#10724 - in reply to #10489) (#10724) Top

An LMI player

An LMI player posted @ 2013-04-21 10:59 PM

How balanced do you think the puzzle types of this test were? Fairly balanced
 What did you think about the puzzle quality of the test? Fairly Nice
 How did you feel about the length / time limit for this test? Way too many puzzles (too little time)
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? Most puzzles were worth the right amount

@ 2013-04-21 11:48 PM (#10725 - in reply to #10489) (#10725) Top

greenhorn

greenhorn posted @ 2013-04-21 11:48 PM

Dear Serbian friends, thank you for a such great puzzles! I really liked the tennis theme. During solving I discovered about 10 secrets, and have a great time after competition when discovering the other ones. Converting the ideas to ALL (!!!) puzzles is really unbelievable, specially letters ATP in movable digits. Thank you once again.
@ 2013-04-22 12:09 AM (#10726 - in reply to #10725) (#10726) Top

skywalker

skywalker posted @ 2013-04-22 12:09 AM

greenhorn - 2013-04-21 11:48 PM

Dear Serbian friends, thank you for a such great puzzles! I really liked the tennis theme. During solving I discovered about 10 secrets, and have a great time after competition when discovering the other ones. Converting the ideas to ALL (!!!) puzzles is really unbelievable, specially letters ATP in movable digits. Thank you once again.

In the name of all authors, thank you for kind words.
Great reward for our work.

Branko
@ 2013-04-22 12:31 AM (#10727 - in reply to #10711) (#10727) Top

skywalker

skywalker posted @ 2013-04-22 12:31 AM

janoslaw - 2013-04-21 3:49 PM

About 15 minutes to the time limit, I started submitting answers, but I couldn`t send my solutions, because the website blew out. I was trying to refresh the website, restart the browser etc., but the situation was still repeating. I lost all answers, that I wrote out. After few attempts of repairing the malfunction, the time finally ended. I don`t know how can I protest, because I cannot prove anything, what I have just written. What will happen with my results, which currently equals 0?
Jan Mrozowski

Jan,
I sent to you PM.
Please respond.

Branko
@ 2013-04-22 12:50 AM (#10730 - in reply to #10705) (#10730) Top

prasanna16391

prasanna16391 posted @ 2013-04-22 12:50 AM

kishy72 - 2013-04-21 1:25 PM

*Time frame :
I know the time frame is only 2 hours which would be convenient for everyone and which has been the case in all the Grand prix rounds so far.But for a test such as this which has a killer worth 157 points,another killer worth 108 points and another one worth more than 100 points,the test should surely be close to 150 mins (atleast).
I was heart broken that i could not enter the solution of the diagonally consecutive inspite of being on the threshold of completing it

Since Thomas' post covered the rest of your feedback, I'll just address this part. The time frame is again (usually) decided on the basis of the testers' timings. Although, here, the time frame's been set to 2 hours for uniformity and I assume the tester's times were used to confirm that the set falls within that time frame. It is fine tuned (usually) so that the top solvers can come close to or just finish the set. Looking at the score page, this set has achieved that goal. I don't see why puzzles being worth more points means the test should go for longer. But I didn't see why the test is imbalanced either. There's all kinds of points from 20, to 30s, to 40s, to 60s, to 70s, and I think the really tough ones should be seen more as a way to differentiate the top solvers, unless they're particularly your strength. The last sentence, well, I'm sorry you couldn't submit on time, but that happens to many solvers in every test, no matter what the time constraints, so that isn't really something time frame will change.

And, thanks to the Serbian authors for a beautifully themed set of puzzles. I had the unfortunate experience of breaking the 2 highest pointers pretty late, and so skipped those two, but overall I really enjoyed the test. I'll post a few more detailed comments after I redo those and others so I know where I went wrong.
@ 2013-04-22 1:40 AM (#10731 - in reply to #10489) (#10731) Top

macherlakumar

macherlakumar posted @ 2013-04-22 1:40 AM

How balanced do you think the puzzle types of this test were? Perfectly balanced
 What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? Just right
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? All puzzles were worth the right amount

@ 2013-04-22 1:56 AM (#10732 - in reply to #10489) (#10732) Top

Ziti

Ziti posted @ 2013-04-22 1:56 AM

@ 2013-04-22 2:24 AM (#10733 - in reply to #10489) (#10733) Top

ajselep

ajselep posted @ 2013-04-22 2:24 AM

Do not really feel qualified to judge contest. I thought I was pretty good at Sudoku until starting the Grand Prix. I enjoy doing it but seem to be completely out-classed. Where can you get experience (try, fail, learn) on these type of 'non-standard' - at least compared to "expert" book/ newspaper puzzles without quitting my day job? This is not a complaint against any contest. I appreciate the challenge being offered - and obviously others do not find it too difficult. Keep up the good work challenging us.
@ 2013-04-22 2:41 AM (#10734 - in reply to #10489) (#10734) Top

An LMI player

An LMI player posted @ 2013-04-22 2:41 AM

What was your opinion of the distribution of easy/hard puzzles? Too many hard puzzles
 How did you feel about the length / time limit for this test? A bit too many puzzles
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? All puzzles were worth the right amount

@ 2013-04-22 3:50 AM (#10735 - in reply to #10489) (#10735) Top

joshuazucker

joshuazucker posted @ 2013-04-22 3:50 AM

How did you feel about the length / time limit for this test? A bit too many puzzles

I would have liked to have more than 2 hours. I felt like I was often deciding whether to try a puzzle, or which ones to come back to, based on the very large point values of some puzzles and wanting to finish them in the time limit.

Of course I look forward to more time spent solving the remaining puzzles later!

These were quite difficult and I feel that I was lucky to solve as many as I did during the test.

The tennis theme was very nicely done! I suspect there are more tennis messages for me to find if I keep looking for them.
@ 2013-04-22 4:38 AM (#10736 - in reply to #10489) (#10736) Top

An LMI player

An LMI player posted @ 2013-04-22 4:38 AM

@ 2013-04-22 5:22 AM (#10737 - in reply to #10489) (#10737) Top

esther59

esther59 posted @ 2013-04-22 5:22 AM

How did you feel about the length / time limit for this test? Way too many puzzles (too little time)
 Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? Many puzzles were worth too much or too little

@ 2013-04-22 3:17 PM (#10739 - in reply to #10489) (#10739) Top

GaS

GaS posted @ 2013-04-22 3:17 PM

@ 2013-04-22 3:34 PM (#10740 - in reply to #10489) (#10740) Top

An LMI player

An LMI player posted @ 2013-04-22 3:34 PM

@ 2013-04-22 3:54 PM (#10741 - in reply to #10733) (#10741) Top

prasanna16391

prasanna16391 posted @ 2013-04-22 3:54 PM

ajselep - 2013-04-22 2:24 AM

Do not really feel qualified to judge contest. I thought I was pretty good at Sudoku until starting the Grand Prix. I enjoy doing it but seem to be completely out-classed. Where can you get experience (try, fail, learn) on these type of 'non-standard' - at least compared to "expert" book/ newspaper puzzles without quitting my day job? This is not a complaint against any contest. I appreciate the challenge being offered - and obviously others do not find it too difficult. Keep up the good work challenging us.

Here on LMI there's been many such contests authored by various brilliant authors from around the world. Just access the monthly tests page. Also, you can check the links page for more sites/blogs where you can find Sudokus/other puzzles of such quality/difficulty. Hope that helps.
@ 2013-04-22 7:02 PM (#10742 - in reply to #10489) (#10742) Top

detuned

detuned posted @ 2013-04-22 7:02 PM

How balanced do you think the puzzle types of this test were? Very skewed
 What was your opinion of the booklet formatting and printing? I have a different complaint

Perhaps this feedback reflects the imeediate frustrations with my solving experience - so please take with a pinch of salt.

I wonder what the point of having a competition with at least 3 puzzles which dwarf the rest in terms of difficulty and points distribution. It forces the solver to try the harder puzzles, and means that if you get stuck on just one of these harder puzzles it ruins the result of the solver. The easier, less weighted puzzles become neither here nor there in terms of their importance in the competition. I have strong feelings that if you are going to have more than 1 or 2 10, 20, 30 minute puzzles in a test, then all the puzzles shoud be of this much harder level.

As a set of individual puzzles I feel they were all good quality puzzles and I enjoyed solving them in isolation. However I am quite frustrated solving them in the context of a competition.
@ 2013-04-22 7:10 PM (#10743 - in reply to #10489) (#10743) Top

detuned

detuned posted @ 2013-04-22 7:10 PM

I should also mention that I didn't attempt the shape puzzle due to ambiguities in the presentation. As it turned out, there were only 4 shapes, but this could easily be interpreted as having 8x L-triominoes and 4 x /-triominoes which obviously makes things far more complicated in theory.

I thought given the relatively low value of the puzzle it wasn't worth the time trying to work out that it was the easier option.

EDIT: the tennis racquet theme has become more apparent to me now. But I see I'm not the only one to have missed it so perhaps it is still a point still worthy of consideration. It wouldn't have been hard in this case to have provide an outline bordering the shapes to clear up the ambiguity.

Edited by detuned 2013-04-22 7:59 PM
@ 2013-04-22 7:13 PM (#10744 - in reply to #10489) (#10744) Top

An LMI player

An LMI player posted @ 2013-04-22 7:13 PM

How balanced do you think the puzzle types of this test were? Very skewed

@ 2013-04-22 7:16 PM (#10745 - in reply to #10489) (#10745) Top

An LMI player

An LMI player posted @ 2013-04-22 7:16 PM

@ 2013-04-22 7:40 PM (#10746 - in reply to #10489) (#10746) Top

An LMI player

An LMI player posted @ 2013-04-22 7:40 PM

What was your opinion of the booklet formatting and printing? Too few pages / too small grids

@ 2013-04-22 9:29 PM (#10747 - in reply to #10489) (#10747) Top

kishy72

kishy72 posted @ 2013-04-22 9:29 PM

I reply here so that my main poin of contention(a better points distribution) which is the focus of my entire feeback is not obscured by what people have replied here to my post.
I standby what i have said before that this test would have more better overall if the points had been distributed more judiciously and prudently.
Going by the reply that i see,the assumption is that the puzzle gets 10x the points corresponding to the minutes that a test solver takes to complete.Now while i know that there are not that many ways to possibly allott points accurately to a puzzle without having the test solver's time as basis ,but should it be the only possible criterion to determine how a puzzle is weighed?So if the
test solver had taken say 25 odd minutes on the same puzzle would the puzzle be given 250 points which would amount to 1 quarter of the total points allotted to just one puzzle??!

"I don't see why puzzles being worth more points means the test should go for longer".It is not on the basis of points that i was trying to put forth my point that the time duration must be close to 150 mins but rather on the difficulty level inherent in the 3 puzzles.I am sure that a majority of the solvers would agree with me if closing my eyes i were to say that the 3 puzzles that i mentioned
would surely have taken close to 1 hour(atleast) if not more if an average solver had gone about in solving these .
"But I didn't see why the test is imbalanced either. There's all kinds of points from 20, to 30s, to 40s, to 60s, to 70s, ".Here again you seem to misinterpret me.Just because a test has a 20 pointer ,a 30 pointer, a 40 pointer a 60 pointer etc --->does not lead to the test being termed "Balanced".You Will find 20 30 40 pointer ones etc in most of the tests if not all .Now do all the tests become balanced then?
On the other hand it has more to do with the difficulty of the puzzles present and how better they are distributed in terms of
A)Quantity
B)Weightage
My point is that it was not that good in this test whose impact could definitely have been minimized by a better point distribution.I see another top solver's feedback sharing my point of view.
Our discussion or our views on this issue is certainly not 1-way or can be concluded by doing this or that.It can only become better with more views and feedbacks on how ideally a test shoud be weighed and so on.........
@ 2013-04-22 9:51 PM (#10749 - in reply to #10489) (#10749) Top

gauravkorde

gauravkorde posted @ 2013-04-22 9:51 PM

Of the puzzles you solved/attempted, how well did their point values reflect the difficulty/time spent? Many puzzles were worth too much or too little

@ 2013-04-22 10:17 PM (#10750 - in reply to #10489) (#10750) Top

Ours brun

Ours brun posted @ 2013-04-22 10:17 PM

@ 2013-04-22 10:58 PM (#10751 - in reply to #10489) (#10751) Top

standupcanada

standupcanada posted @ 2013-04-22 10:58 PM

WPF Sudoku Grand Prix — Serbian Round — 20th - 22nd April 2013149 posts • Page 4 of 6 • 1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version