Why the Changes?
We have noticed that with puzzle contests, a shorter timeframe seems to play a part in bringing in more participants, so we have moved to 60 minutes for this year to see how it goes. To keep the total solving time on par with SM, there are 6 rounds. While doing all this, we also want to move towards the mindset that, like SM, PR has a dual aim, i.e., a) providing something to solve for newcomers and casual participants and b) challenging India's top solvers and keeping them somewhat in touch with solving levels of a WPC. We can achieve both these goals without the rounds necessarily being finish-able for the top X or Y solvers, which is arbitrary anyway. Instead, what we will aim to do is have 3 Easy sections, 2 Medium sections and 1 Hard section among the Classic types so that there is something for everyone. We request the participants to consider this target when providing feedback for any given round. The other changes are hopefully self explanatory.
Recap of Other Points about PR & IPC
- This is a national contest aimed at encouraging the best puzzle solvers of India to participate and experience the excitement, thrill and puzzling atmosphere on the lines of various national championships and the World Championships.
- The PR series consists of 6 online rounds (approximately one every 3-4 weeks), based on different puzzle categories.
- Like the recent years before 2020 and 2021, the offline final will have a participation fee which will mainly be to recover venue/food costs. This fee will be updated a little later once the venue is confirmed. The online rounds will continue to be free for all.***
- There are 3-4* spots for the Indian A team for WPC 2022, which will be decided by this tournament.***
*Depending on whether the player awarded a wildcard from WPC 2019 participates.
- There will be a separate playoff at the end of the offline finals to determine the Mahabharat winner. There will be an eligibility criteria for this playoff, as explained below, to preserve the essence of Puzzle Ramayan***